Monday, March 22, 2010

Worst Drivers By Profession; Yep, That'll Be Lawyers


Insurance.com has conducted a survey on the worst drivers by profession.  No big surprise here but lawyers, and I ain't even talking Bad Lawyers, lawyers generally top the list.  While I have no insight into the methadology of this survey, I give you the list:

Top 10 Most Dangerous Drivers by Profession


1.Attorney/Judge – Why chase ambulances if you can bring them to you?

2.Financial professionals – Do they cover their cars with a “tarp”?

3.Government worker (GS6) – Fender benders are a little known GS6 requirement.

4.Bartender or Waiter – It’s just a different way of getting served.

5.Other – Professional – AKA “I was hit by that ‘other’ guy.”

6.Dog Groomer – Following the rules of the road must be a real pet peeve.  [Huh?!]

7.Marketing/Advertising – If they have road rage can we call them “Mad Men”?

8.Barber/Stylist – Mostly likely to cut you off.

9.Coach – Always crying foul.

10.Nurse – Bedside manner: Great! Roadside manner: Yikes!
_____________________________
My hero, legendary class action attorney and Cy Pres founder-advocate, Pat Perotti, is one of the lawyers who has no doubt caused huge distortions in these survey results.  For one thing even before the common era of the cell phone/smart phone distraction, Pat would haul ass during his morning commute, highlighter and brief in hand careening all over the road.  You could not pull beside him and attract his attention even at a red light, because he would be engrossed in some sort of fugue state even when he wasn't proof reading pleadings.  He was famous for it; amazingly Pat never lost his driver's license although OurState's 12-point system was severely tested.
 
Personally I confess to be be a reformed aggressive driver.  It is only the fact that my daughter came of driving age that I came to my sanity and realized that I need to be a teacher by example.  This reality began to alter some pretty obnoxious and impatient driving habits.  My terror about my children learning poor driving habits from me has been altered some pretty piss poor skills.   My daughter dropped me off at a local repair shop one afternoon 6 or 7 months after she got her license and pulled out of the lot with a "smart phone" in hand.  When I reached home 30 minutes later, she lost the smart phone and the car keys for a few weeks.
 
I caught this article up at the Lowell Sun, and their interview with local lawyers is pretty amusing.   We are just so full of ourselves.  My life would be so much better if I could have slowed down, dismissed my ego and the static in my head, and just existed within myself as I drove to work.  My bad driving was symptomatic of all my other pathologies.  All my creations of my ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment